The ConexED Card
The ConexED Card illustrated in Figure 1 is founded on an “every student is a priority” principle. It empowers students, their families, and other visitors to your website by reducing the number of clicks and pages encountered before a human interaction. More than what a web chatbot can offer, the ConexED Card is a FERPA, HIPAA, and ADA compliant touchpoint customized to connect visitors to all the services available to them in that moment. Visitors can initiate a chat with the person whose picture, name, title, and bio are displayed on the card. The chat tool can also instantly start a video meeting. The visitor additionally has the option of sending an email without knowing the user’s actual email address. The card also syncs with the scheduler and event registration.
Every user’s card has its own HTML code for webpage embedding. Every card also has its own vanity URL that can be shared via a chat or email or linked to a button or picture on a webpage.
Example of a Customized ConexED Card
Customizing the ConexED Card
The features illustrated on the ConexED Card can be customized. Figure 2 illustrates the following features:
- Your ConexED Card URL: A direct link to your personal ConexED Card. Send this link to anyone, so they can access your card and initiate a connection with you. The URL is based on your username and cannot be customized.
- Name: Names as long as 33 characters including spaces will fit on one line across the card.
- Title: The title will appear in bold font beneath the name.
- Email: This is the email address associated with your ConexED account. There is an option for whether or not to display your email on your card.
- Allow Offline Messages: Enable or disable the ability to send an offline message to your email. If you do not display your email on your card, this button can enable a visitor to email you without knowing your address.
- Telephone: This is the telephone number associated with your ConexED account. If this line is blank, you can add your number to your account here.
- Carrier: To use the SMS messaging features in the ConexED system for meeting reminders, it is important to identify your telephone carrier to ensure transmission.
- Send SMS Meeting Reminders: Checking this box is the last step after providing your phone number and carrier for enabling text message meeting reminders.
- Office Address: Provide the address where you hold in-office meetings or your location area to indicate your timezone.
- Extra Field: The Extra Field creates a bolded heading below your title. A common use of this field is for Office Hours. The text provided will automatically have a colon after it.
- Field Value: The Field Value is the information that follows the bolded Extra Field heading. This is where you would list the office hours.
- Save: This is where you save all changes made to your profile settings.
- Select Photo: Upload a photo to personalize your card. This is the same photo that will also appear in the virtual meeting space when you are not using video. Picture size should be a minimum of 250 x 250 pixels (2.6 x 2.6 inches) with a maximum size of 2 MB (836 x 836 pixels, approximately 8 x 8 inches).
- Include a Biography: When you access your card via its URL or when you embed your card on a page, there is a Click to Read Bio button that expands the card to show the bio. This feature is not available on the card inside the ConexED Student Support Directory.
- Search Meta-Tags: Adding a hashtag to your card provides another way to locate your card using the Student Support Directory search tool.
- Knock on Door Button Text: Customize the “Knock on Door” language; for example, it could say “Live Chat” or “Ask a Math Instructor.”
- Schedule Meeting Button Text: Customize the “Schedule Meeting” text. For example, it could say “Schedule Conference, “Submit a Paper,” “Computer Check-Out,” or “Reserve a Room,” depending on the purpose of the scheduler.
- Send Offline Message Button Text: Customize the “Send Offline Message” text.
- Show the Workshop Registration Button: Checking this box will show the workshop/event registration button on the card. You can also customize the text of this button. For example, it could say “Classroom Registration.”
- Make my email visible to other users on my ConexED Card: Checking this box will display your email on your card.
- Make my phone number visible to other users on my ConexED Card: Checking this box will display your phone number on your card.
- Set my status to away when in an online meeting: Checking this box will change your online status to away when you are in your virtual office with another student. This will prevent users from being able to knock on your door when you’re in a meeting; however, if you do not have this box checked, and you are in a meeting, users will be prompted to enter the lobby and wait, which is a best practice for ensuring the student persists in their effort to connect with support.
- Don’t allow users to schedule appointments with me: Checking this box disables the calendar icon on the card to prevent users from scheduling with you via the ConexED Card.
- Your Lobby Welcome Message: This paragraph field with formatting tools for plain text, HTML coding, and hyperlinks, allows you to create a welcome message and provide information or instructions to students who enter your personal virtual lobby.
- ConexED Card Webpage Embed Code: Use this code to embed your card using an HTML field on a webpage in order to create an engaging, accessible, ADA conformant, and HIPPA and FERPA compliant touchpoint and pathway to private, group, and event meetings.
Customize ConexED Card