Customize Your ConexED Card
The ConexED Card, historically called the Cafe Card, is a core feature of ConexED. When ConexED was first adopted by educational services and institutions across the United States and Canada, the card revolutionized online student services by creating an ADA compliant, personalized, and interactive touchpoint that engaged students the moment they landed on the student service webpage.
Figure 1 illustrates a customized ConexED Card. Each card features a profile picture and bio, contact information, Knock on Door (instant chat), offline messaging, scheduling, and webinar registration to promote student engagement and success.
Example of a Customized ConexED Card
The ConexED Card is founded on an “every student is a priority” principle. It empowers students by reducing the number of clicks and pages encountered before reaching support and by increasing the options students have for connecting with the right person at the right time both online and on-campus. ConexED is also browser-based, so interactions with the card do not require an application installation or download. Those who interact with a ConexED Card, however, will be prompted to agree to an Informed Consent as determined by the institution and log in, so there is a high level of safety and security for both the student and the staff member who shows their online status using the card.
Figure 2 illustrates the ways the card can be customized to meet your needs and the needs of your student service group and students. The figure illustrates the following features:
- Your ConexED Card URL: A direct link to your personal ConexED Card. Send this link to anyone, so they can access your card and initiate a connection with you. This URL cannot be customized.
- Name: Names as long as 33 characters including spaces will fit on one line across the card.
- Title: The title will appear in bold font beneath the name.
- Email: This is the email address associated with your ConexED account. Due to the technical integration with your affiliated institution in which user information is sent to the ConexED system, updating your email address here may not result in a permanent change. If you need to change your email address, it is a best practice to submit that request to your institution’s primary ConexEd Admin.
- Allow Offline Messages: Enable or disable the ability to send an offline message to your email.
- Telephone: This is the telephone number associated with your ConexED account. If this line is blank, you can add your number to your account here.
- Carrier: To use the SMS messaging features in the ConexED system, it is important to identify your telephone carrier to ensure transmission.
- Send SMS Meeting Reminders: Checking this box is the last step after providing your phone number and carrier for enabling text message meeting reminders.
- Office Address: Provide the address where you hold in-office meetings or your location to indicate your timezone.
- Extra Field: The Extra Field creates a bolded heading below your title. A common use of this field is for Office Hours or as in Figure 1, pronouns. The text provided will automatically have a colon after it.
- Field Value: The Field Value is the information that follows the bolded Extra Field heading. This is where you would list the office hours or provide the pronouns as Figure 1 illustrates, for example.
- Save: This is where you save all changes made to your profile settings.
- Select Photo: Upload a photo to personalize your card. This is the same photo that will also appear in the virtual meeting space when you are not using video. Picture size should be a minimum of 250 x 250 pixels (2.6 x 2.6 inches) with a maximum size of 2 MB (836 x 836 pixels, approximately 8 x 8 inches).
- Include a Biography: When you access your card via its URL or when you embed your card on a page, there is a Click to Read Bio button that expands the card to show the bio. This feature is not available on the card inside the ConexED Student Support Directory.
- Search Meta-Tags: Adding a hashtag to your card provides another way to locate your card using the Student Support Directory search tool.
- Knock on Door Button Text: Customize the “Knock on Door” language; for example, it could say “Live Chat” or “Ask a Math Instructor.”
- Schedule Meeting Button Text: Customize the “Schedule Meeting” text. For example, it could say “Schedule Conference, “Submit a Paper,” “Computer Check-Out,” or “Reserve a Room,” depending on the purpose of the scheduler.
- Send Offline Message Button Text: Customize the “Send Offline Message” text.
- Show the Workshop Registration Button: Checking this box will show the workshop/event registration button on the card. You can also customize the text of this button. For example, it could say “Classroom Registration.”
- Make my email visible to other users on my ConexED Card: Checking this box will display your email on your card.
- Make my phone number visible to other users on my ConexED Card: Checking this box will display your phone number on your card.
- Set my status to away when in an online meeting: Checking this box will change your online status to away when you are in your virtual office with another student. This will prevent users from being able to knock on your door when you’re in a meeting; however, if you do not have this box checked, and you are in a meeting, users will be prompted to enter the lobby and wait, which is a best practice for ensuring the student persists in their effort to connect with support.
- Don’t allow users to schedule appointments with me: Checking this box disables the calendar icon on the card to prevent users from scheduling with you via the ConexED Card.
- Your Lobby Welcome Message: This paragraph field with formatting tools for plain text, html coding, and hyperlinks, allows you to create a welcome message and provide information or instructions to students who enter your personal virtual lobby.
- ConexED Card Webpage Embed Code: Use this code to embed your card using an HTML field on a webpage in order to create an engaging, accessible, ADA conformant, and HIPPA and FERPA compliant touchpoint and pathway to private, group, and event meetings.
To customize your card with the features described above and illustrated in Figure 2, open your Profile Settings on the user panel of ConexED.
Customize ConexED Card